PHP Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user 'vhelpf'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 3

PHP Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user 'vhelpf'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 2

PHP Warning: mysql_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 3

email hosting - Vista Help Forum

Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Web Design & Development » Website Design » Hosting

Old 02-12-2007
Agent - Level 3

cpearson is on a distinguished road
Default email hosting

Are there any particular software packages or services I should look for in an email host? I like how google filters spam with its gmail service. I am also looking into the google (premium) apps for domains service. Do any exchange hosts have top notch spam filtering? How does your company fight spam? Keep in mind I need to retain all the existing email addresses (by now on millions on email spam lists).

Old 02-12-2007
Level 2 Member

sbauer is on a distinguished road

We run Mdaemon at our office, instead of MS Exchange server. It has built in anti spam software and also allows for importing sender lists. It is cheaper than MS Exchange server and also syncs everybody's outlook using there outlook connector extension. Mdaemon is created by Alt-N Technologies you can check them out at http://www.altn.com.
Old 02-12-2007
Agent - Level 3

I check out the Mdaemon service. It looks very interesting. I do like how configurable the system is, but is it overkill. How much of the setup/configuration is left to the user? I am looking for a service that works accurately filters spam out of the box. I do not like how it takes a separate "adapter" (sold via renewable license) to use outlook. How much setup did it take and is it worth the price?
Old 02-13-2007
Level 2 Member

Setup isn't to time consuming provided you don't have to create hundreds of email accounts. It does a good job out of the box blocking spam using its spam ranking system, but then allows you to filter it further through custom rules and lists. The outlook connector is an option, but you only have to purchase a license for your server, not each license of outlook. It does suck though that it doesn't come as part of the email server software. Overall it is cheaper than MS Exchange Server with comparable add-ons. Not saying it is better as I have little experience with Exchange Server, just cheaper.
Old 02-14-2007
Agent - Level 3

Is Mdeamon a software package you load on a server in your office or is it an online service that outlook clients connect to through POP or another email protocal?
Old 02-14-2007
Level 2 Member

It is a software package you load on your server in office. We originally used it to host our own email and manage our outlook folders. Then when it came time to replace our email server we decided to have our ISP host our email. (They have there own spam blocking system that blocks most spam.) We then took Mdaemon and moved it to a new server in office and have Mdaemon doing a secondary spam blocking and managing our outlook folders.