Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Game Forum

Old 11-01-2008
neophyte

noLa24 is on a distinguished road
Default Apps show in the Processes tab, but don't Run

First it started with Battlefield 2, which I knew Vista had problems with before, so I didn't think much of it. The problem is that when I clicked on the BF2 icon, the BF2 start screen appeared for a few seconds, then went away, and the nothing. I opened up Task Manager, and the Applications tab was empty. I went to processes and there it was, BF2.exe. I restarted the game, rebooted, and everything. I finally did a manual uninstall, which fixed the problem. But now I recently download the EVE Online trial, and when I clicked on the icon, it said "verifying install," which loaded to 100%, then did nothing. I checked the Apps tab, which was empty, but there it was in Processes, also slowing down my computer noticeably. The only recent changes I've done to my computer that I think could affect it are:

- Installed PC Pitstop Optimize2, and Exterminate
- Removed computer password (The user login...)

Other than that, I don't know what it could be. Maybe a recent Windows Update, but I ran Optimize2 everyday, and the only thing it changed after the first optimize was every time it did the same registry fixit, not sure what registry though.

PC Specs:

OS: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_gdr.071023-1545)
PROC: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ (2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
MOBO: Asus M2N68-LA
Memory: 2046MB RAM
HD: 250 GB
GFX: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Monitor: Compaq WF1907 Wide 19" LCD Monitor
Sound: Built-In

There's a Screen Shot of my Task Manager in Attachments.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg vistahelp.jpg (60.9 KB, 3 views)