Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Help Forum

Old 02-11-2009
neophyte

Warthog is on a distinguished road
Default Migration XP to Vista using XP Hard Drive

My desktop PC (running Windows XP) suffered "dead-motherboard-itis". I purchased a new machine with Windows Vista. I want to migrate at least files and settings from the XP installation to the Vista machine. The hard drive with the XP installation is fine, and I plan to attach it to the Vista machine with a USB to IDE/SATA cable. Can this be done with "Windows Easy Transfer" or other automatic means??? Or am I stuck doing a manual copy over.

If the latter, does anyone know of on-line tutorial that leads one through the manual process.
Old 02-12-2009
Agent - Level 3

cyclic is on a distinguished road

You cant 'easy transfer' settings and the like between different operting systems, I'm afraid the wizard ain't that good, so I think your stuck with manual. At least when the drive is connected via USB the operation becomes a simple drag and drop.
Old 02-13-2009
neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclic View Post
You cant 'easy transfer' settings and the like between different operating systems, I'm afraid the wizard ain't that good, so I think your stuck with manual. At least when the drive is connected via USB the operation becomes a simple drag and drop.
From http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...-transfer.aspx

"Windows Easy Transfer helps you easily move the files and settings stored on your PC running Windows 2000, Windows XP, or even Windows Vista to a new PC running Windows Vista."

According to the Microsoft Website, WET is supposed to do precisely what you say it cannot.
Old 02-13-2009
Agent - Level 3

Trooper is on a distinguished road

Do you have an "Easy Transfer Cable"?

Windows don't let you do anything without a cost hehehe.
Old 02-13-2009
neophyte

Couldn't use the "Easy Transfer Cable" even if I had it.

The XP machine is dead (motherboard failure). I plan to remove the IDE drive (which is fine) which contains Windows XP from the dead machine, attach it to an IDE-to-USB converter/cable, and hook the XP drive up to the Vista machine as a "removable storage device".

What I need to know is if I run "Windows Easy Transfer" ON THE VISTA MACHINE with the XP drive as target, will it then prepare the XP data for transfer. I can SAVE that data to another external drive if necessary.
Old 02-13-2009
Agent - Level 3

cyclic is on a distinguished road

\you may notice it does say 'even a vista to a vista system, it can assist in moving settings between systems using the same OS, XP to XP or Vista to Vista, but these things are easily misinterpreted, of course you can just try it and see what happens, don't say you wern't warned, just as a n aside if your all so sure about what it can or can't do all of a sudden why are you asking about it? just get on with it and do it.