Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Networking Forum

Old 09-19-2009
neophyte

stuu3270 is on a distinguished road
Default Remote Assistance Will Not Work

Hi,

I am trying to setup/ use remote assistance within my own home wireless network. I use Vista Ultimate on a desktop PC and a laptop.

This might sound lazy but if I am upstairs and my wife is having problems downstairs on the laptop I could simply remote assist her rather than going all the way to her every time and interrupting my work.

So, I have tried 'offering to help' by typing the name of the laptop on the home network 'Laptop'. It thinks for a moment and says the permissions might not be right or the other computer may not be on the network or maybe not turned on. Neither are right as the laptop is turned on, is identified on the network and both computers are set to allow remote assistance access.

I have also followed the help material within Vista by making exceptions in the firewall and opening the port for remote assistance. Then I have added to the group policy. Although each time I open the group policy the added snap-in is no longer there.

WHat is going wrong??

Thanks
Stu