Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Help Forum

Old 09-29-2009
neophyte

Jay_bee is on a distinguished road
Default Assistance Req: Possible Problem With Vista/SigmaTel: Cant get Mic working

Hi,

I'm having a real problem trying to get the mic working on my PC.

From the research I've done so far, it appears that there may be an issue with Vista and the SigmaTel software, although I'm not 100%.

I'd just like to point out that I'm no techy by any means so will be as descriptive as possible.

I am using a Dell Dimension E521, Vista Business (SP1), Athlon Dual Core 4400+ 2.3GHz, 2.00 GB, 32-bit.

The speakers work fine, but there is a problem with the microphone.

I cant access the Sound control panel fully, what I mean by that is when I open it (Control Panel>Hardware & Sound>Sound) there are three tabs (Playback, Recording, Sounds). The Playback tab is fine and so is the Sounds tab.

However, when I click on the Recording tab, it opens and then shows three microphone options (Microphone, Rear Mic, Line-in Mic) - Microphone is showing ‘unavailable’, Rear Mic showing ‘not working’, Line-In showing ‘available’).

Once I've done that however, it wont let me highlight or select any of the options, it wont let me select either of the other two tabs (Playback, Sounds)and it wont let me close it down. I have to go into task manager and ‘End Task’. This brings up an error message "This Program Is Not Responding", so I click "End Now", then get a brief message that says “Windows Shell Common Dll is not working”

I've tried all sorts, updating the drivers from Dell and various other sites, uninstalling and reinstalling - which then causes issues as the PC wont fully recognise the device. What I mean by that is, after I restart the machine, there is a cross next to the speaker symbol and if I try and go to the Volume Mixer, its shows as 'no device present', yet in Device Manager, its shows that its present and 'working' although I cant adjust the volume as the tab is blank. The only way to get sound back is to roll back to a restore point!

I really dont want to format the machine as there's about 8 years worth of stuff that I'd have to back up (the PC is about 2 years old).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I really want to get the mic working so I can talk to my dad in Canada (I'm in the UK) without having huge phone bills..

TIA

Jeff

Last edited by Jay_bee; 09-29-2009 at 06:36 AM.
Old 10-21-2009
neophyte

nyainga is on a distinguished road
Default Sound problem with vista

After update, I lose my sound and find a red x over my sound icon. Then I get the error message "no audio output device is installed. If have the same problem as mine, you can find the solution at http://www.noaudiooutput.com