Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » General Vista Discussion

Old 03-21-2007
neophyte

cayman is on a distinguished road
Default a few things i don`t like about vista

first of all,english is not my native language,so i hope my writing would make some sense..I upgrated to vista hp as soon as i could,and are pretty happy with it so far.. mostly i use my computer,working with huge amounts of photos.The indexing is just great,and one of my favorite new vista feature.making everything much faster then the old xp.But sure there are a few minor things i don`t like ;-)Maybe its possible to tweak some of them somewhere burried in the system.here are just a few of them:

1.It`s not possible to right click an image and"send to"when its open.This i only possible when you right click on the small thumbnail of the photo.

2.When i mark many files at once,giving them new names and enter,the marking goes away,and i have to mark them all again,for further work.

3.If i mark all or/some files in a folder,it doesen`t tell how many files there are in the folder/or how many marked.

4.Its difficult to drag and drop from documents and to my photo,video,music folder because of the very small size of the folder tree.

5.defrag not showing anything about time/progress

6.emtying trashcan,often the files still shows,and its nessecary to close and open,to see if the files actually were deleted.

7.I have to perform a reboot everytime i connect an exstra harddrive for vista to find them.(2x new wd eebook`s 250gb)

There are a few more small things as well,nothing big,just minor things bugging my usual workflow. i don`t understand why ms didnt applyed them from xp.But all in all,im pretty pleased vith vista so far.
Old 04-25-2007
Agent - Level 3

cpearson is on a distinguished road

All valid grievances, good post.
Old 06-26-2007
Level 2 Member

johngreenwood is on a distinguished road

Also, the whole part between the first time you stick the DVD in, to the first time it boots normally is a pile of crap too. Why won't Microsoft let you have more control over the install process by now? Idiots.
Old 06-27-2007
Agent - Level 3

uhaligani is on a distinguished road

I am a satisfied Vista User.
There seems to be something wrong with your basic installation, Cayman, or I misunderstand you! I run as the Administrator, in Ultimate, so will concede some differences. However.
!. This does work for me.
2. As in XP, if you hold the Control keu down whilst selecting, the ticks remain.
3. Have you got the Status bar selected, from the "View" options? - Mine shows how many files I have selected.
4. Not sure what you mean there - my files/folders are normal size.
5. Agreed on that. It isn't really neccessary but it would be good to be able to see approx how long it would take - use a third party program.
6. It has never happened to me!
7. I don't do this a lot so cannot comment. The only add-ons I connect whilst actually running Vista are USB devices, including a hard drive. Vista detects it OK.
P.S. John. Which part of the installation process (keeping in mind Linux or XP installation) do you find you do not have control over?
Old 06-27-2007
Level 2 Member

johngreenwood is on a distinguished road

Apparently, Vista defrags itself in the background. I remember a registry hack for XP which defragged when idle, I have no idea whether or not this is the same.

As for the control part, everything. If you have XP installed and run setup from XP, Vista assumes you are using that partition for Vista before being asked where you want to install it. I would also like to be able to decide where the bootloader is installed, preferably to a partition instead of the MBR.
Another thing which would be nice is to have an option like automatic or custom install, select auto and it installs normally, custom, you can remove what you don't want like language packs and stuff.

Overall, I am also a happy Vista user.

Last edited by johngreenwood; 06-27-2007 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-28-2007
Agent - Level 3

uhaligani is on a distinguished road

The defrag does run on a schedule. Vista's defrag is smarter in comparison to the XP's defrag because it checks if the amount of time that would take to move files is larger than the performance benefit you gain. If the performance benefit is not too significant, it moves on to other files.
My own, and others, complain about ithere being no progress bar. I understand this is because the defragmentation in Vista is non-linear, so there is no way to estimate (correctly) how much time a defrag could possibly take. Instead of trying to show estimates of how much the defragmentation will take, the Vista defrag makes use low-priority I/O and low priority CPU, so you can still use it and continue working while the defrag is on. It also does a check on possible speed improvements on larger segments, before defragging them.
You can alter the schedule if you wish, by clicking on the menu option.

Unfortunately, in order to set up a boot manager, Vista must take over the MBR, and this is, of course, always on the root of the first hard disk. If you boot and install from the CD, you will be given the choice of partitions. I have never installed from XP so cannot comment on your remark.
There are one or two thrird party automated install kits, but Microsoft have, themselves, had one since Windows 95. If you want it you can download it from:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en