Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » General Vista Discussion

Old 04-21-2009
neophyte

VIIIBabies is on a distinguished road
Default Installation woes. (Not the OS)

So, howdy everyone I'm new, apologies all around if this has already been covered.

I'm running Vista Home Premium with the UAC off. Now whenever I try to install most 3rd party software, I am unable to. I have read elsewhere about this being a common error with the UAC not allowing programs to read/write files/folders without it's permission, and since the UAC is off, you are not given the chance to allow the UAC to give the program permission, equaling, no installs allowed.

Now, it would be a simple fix to just turn the damned UAC on every time I want to install a program, but this requires me to repeatedly restart my machine, just for a tiny install.

Is there ANY other way?! I have read about TweakUAC, but I do not believe it would solve my problem, as it would require the UAC remain on (only in Tweak's newfangled quiet mode). I have no want, nor need for the UAC. Please, for the love of all things technological, please tell me there is a solution for this I seem to have not found on my own!

Thanks in advance for any help guys.
Old 04-21-2009
Agent - Level 3

luckypunq is on a distinguished road

Right clicking the install executale, and running as administrator will allow the install script the permissions it will need for correct installion. However if the programs are not compiled with the Vista directory structure accounted for, it may be that the install will fail. There are at least 4 ways to disable UAC (GUI,registry,MMC,MSCONFIG) but all require a reboot.
Old 04-21-2009
neophyte

I am already an administrator. And this right clicking method still does not work. But thank you for your quick reply
Old 04-23-2009
Agent - Level 3

cyclic is on a distinguished road

I don't know where you read the things you say about UAC, but put simply it's nonsense, if UAC is disabled it cannot interefere with anything.
The more likely scenario is where you are getting programs from, for example, downloaded programs will be prevented from running depending on settings in internet explorer's advanced configuration, in the final tab of the options pages is a security panel, by default it puts a clamp on downloaded programs running, whatever they are and wherever you put them, IE will prevent them from running unless you change these default options.
I think the required changes afairly intuitive, but post back if you have problems.
You may also need to check with whatever (lets hope it's not Norton) anti virus\malware programs you are running that they are not being over zealous in the DEP regard.
Old 04-23-2009
neophyte

I stay away from as many programs as I can when they have been branded by microsoft, so I NEVER use internet explorer. So it can't be that. Possibly there is a similar setting in firefox, but I have yet to find it. I also stay away from norton and even with all my security programs shut off, I still get this same problem unless I turn the UAC on.

Thanks for your help though cyclic.
Old 04-24-2009
Agent - Level 3

cyclic is on a distinguished road

IE is a core part of Vista and does as explained if you use it or not.
Old 04-26-2009
neophyte

I'm sorry if I sound rude in my replies, as this is not what I intend.

I changed the settings in IE as you suggested and also found a suggestion to try running the DL'd programs in compatability mode and that worked just fine.

But I have a new problem if you could help

I cannot change my User Account Picture. Everytime I change it, it goes back to the original Orange Flower picture.

Any thoughts? Or should I make another thread specifically for this error (my part or windows' ;p)