Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Help Forum

Old 08-13-2009
neophyte

CStraybird is on a distinguished road
Default Admin Password

Last night my computer prompted me to change my password. I was tired and distracted, so I did...with the first random word that popped into my head. I have since forgotten the password.

I slept on it to no avail and I have been trying to remember what I used. I tried to do a System Restore, but it asked for Administrator permission (which, of course, requires the password that I don't have). Anything I try asks for Administrator permission, so I'm feeling really SOL here.

Luckily I don't have any extremely important files that I want to keep if I have to take drastic measures. I can get them again if I really have to. Any help will be greatly appreciated, and I'll try to answer any questions you may have.
Old 08-13-2009
neophyte

fattredd is on a distinguished road

Most problems like that can be fixed by ERD Commander.

you can find the newest version here:
http://downloadaccess.net/download-p5101210.html

Boot from the disk, then open up a program called "Locksmith". You should be able to change all passwords here.
Old 08-18-2009
Agent - Level 3

luckypunq is on a distinguished road

ERD commander will not work in Vista (totally different security method), It will work for XP however. Unfortunately you really are SOL. What may be worth trying is the hidden admin account which you you might not have password protected.

I have made a video to show you how (use HQ) to get into admin account. I am hoping that you can still get access to the admin account, you just do not know the password (is that correct?) if so you can still run command prompt as administrator (right click the icon) without password.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXiY_iMvFXQ

Last edited by luckypunq; 08-18-2009 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-04-2009
neophyte

cavedog89 is on a distinguished road
Default also need help with my prob

i have a similar problem but my details are slightly different here they are but i figure they both fall in this category and thought maybe i could get help with it. so here it goes

Ok so this is the deal i bought a fairly new sony viao with vista business on it and the login has a pass. well the guy told me the pass and when i got home i forgot it. i dont have any way of contacting the dude for the pass back cuz i cant find where he lives any more and when i first checked out the computer i was very happy with it i didnt get any contact info.

so stupid me i needed to get around this password. so first i tried ophcrack. this didnt do the trick the pass was either to long or complex.
Then i tried to blank the password but that didnt work either. in the NT user configurater (its another bootable disc that allows you to mess with user information in the hash) it says there is four users default Administrator and Guest then there is helen and ASPNET. well i blanked them all and went to login and got nothing. the login in menu that shows users and stuff when u normally log in says the user is named cathy. idk why the heck that is. so then i went to do some serious research into how to get around it. i found that administrator is turned off by default so i got online found a windows repair disc and burned it. went into it let it do its thing it failed then i get to its main menu finally and got to cmd prompt. in the i type
net user administrator /active:yes {enter}
that stirng activates administrator or so the forum thread i read said so. so i go to log in and stiil all i get is stupid cathy. im stuck now and need any help or advice. oh and ps i cant do system restore to a previous time cuz there arnt any points to revert back to.

any questions jsut aks me and ill try to answer them

thanks guys