Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Help Forum

Old 09-19-2007
neophyte

Scoobie is on a distinguished road
Angry Vista Business crashed to lock mode (where i type in password)

Hi all,

Firstly I am not overly computer literate! So if I describe what happens like a child bear with me!!

I received my new Dell Vostro 1700. Everything is going well for a couple of hours watching some Euro Champions League Football on my TV as well as using the laptop. Then my screen flickers black, clicking on and off until it goes completely blank. For about 30 secs the laptop is buzzing away and then stops to a complete stand still. I press the on button and it takes me to the lock screen where I type my password to enter vista again. However within a few seconds, the crash starts all over again and have to shut down my laptop (even crashes while shutting down!).

I leave my laptop for 30 mins and when i turn it on everything is fine again for another hour when the crash occurs again. I was only browsing web pages like youtube etc so i am not sure the reason for this crash. (edit: also forgot to say that I was downloading day of defeat source, from their steam application).

Can anyone help me here or do I have to phone Dell for a faulty laptop?

Cheers

Adrian

Laptop specs are:

V1700 Core 2 duo T7500 2.2GHz,800,4M
V1700 17" WUXGA (1900x1200) Truelife
2048MB 667MHz dual-channel DDR2 SDRAM (2x 1024MB)
HArd Drive 160GB Serial ATA (5400rpm)
256Mb NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT

Last edited by Scoobie; 09-19-2007 at 05:16 AM.
Old 09-19-2007
Agent - Level 3

uhaligani is on a distinguished road

If you were running on battery when the crash occurred, maybe a faulty battery, or the charger is not doing it's job. My option is to take it back to the shop!
Old 09-20-2007
neophyte

Why do you think it is a battery problem? I had the laptop plugged in at the time. Will be getting in contact with Dell some time today to see what they suggest, but I have a feeling the laptop will be getting sent back
Old 09-20-2007
Agent - Level 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobie View Post
Why do you think it is a battery problem? I had the laptop plugged in at the time.
Sorry - didn't guess that from the posting! I still focus around the power supply - definitely a return job - without delay.

FWIW I recently had a power problem with a desk computer I purchased for a third party. It went back to the seller two days after purchase. They made several suggestions, all of which I rejected. Final suggestion was to leave it for repair. I also rejected this kind offer and insisted I would not accept a fully paid up computer, two days old, which had been repaired. A bit of wrangling then they surrendered and gave me a new computer
Old 09-20-2007
neophyte

Would a diagnostic test show this issue? They made me run one and it came up clean!
Old 09-20-2007
Agent - Level 3

I doubt if a diagnostics test would reveal a fading power problem.
Old 09-20-2007
neophyte

Apologise for dragging this on! When it goes to blue screen again and i gain the error codes, will they show it as being a fading power problem? Just need as much ammo as I can get so i can ask Dell for a replacement! IS it just a replacement battery I need? or are you talking about an internal power supply?
Old 09-20-2007
Agent - Level 3

No apology needed. I don't think the diagnostics can show a power supply problem. I am not aware of your electronic knowledge, but there are quite a feq components in a power supply. One such are condensors/capacitors. If for all apparent purposes, these allow AC through but are a block to DC. If they, as one example, are brealing down, then you would be losing power through that. But the situation you are experiencing could be so many things. I really feel you should take it back to the store and tell them to sort it!