Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Hardware Forum

Old 07-25-2007
neophyte

blackfly is on a distinguished road
Default Shrink Harddrive

Hi, I am trying to dual-boot Vista and Ubuntu on my 40 GB hard drive (actually 37 GB). Anyway, I tried to shrink my C: drive, but it said I could only get 223 MB of space out of it! How is that possible if I have 17gb free?? What can I do to fix it and be able to get at least 10gb of shrink space out of it?

Thanks,

Josh
Old 07-26-2007
myesq

VISTA requires already a minimum of 37GB hard disk space. If you really want to get 2 operating systems running on there you should start considering to upgrade your hard drive!

Hmmm,
I am running already on a 250GB drive as first drive and have not even enough space there! Are you planning to do something besides installing an OS? (Usually you do) - no, seriously: you won't go far with a 40GB hard disk, even not if you only run VISTA!
Every additional program will require more space, no matter if it will be a word processor,DVD software or any other kind of productivity software. Next to you also will end up sooner or later with personal files and documents. Where are you planning to save them if you run on a 40GB hard drive only?
Old 07-26-2007
Agent - Level 3

uhaligani is on a distinguished road

You may misunderstand Junner. You most certainly can install Vista on a 40 gig hard drive. I have actually squeezed it onto 20 gigs, for the experiment. The problem is, which is what Junner is infering, is what software do you want to put on top? Vista alone needs 16 gigs and would need a little breathing space, say 20 gigs total. You should forget about the linux install - it will not be practical. You will have no room for working with Vista or, as Junner suggests, saving any private work or third party programs.
Old 07-26-2007
myesq

No,
it is not only the 'physical space' you have to gicve up to VISTA, there is much more going on, things like virtual memory which gets 'reserved' by your operating system and so on, so, only because of you can 'press' the files of your VISTA installation on 20Gig drive will not make it run properly. Read about the minimum requirements for VISTA ...
Old 07-27-2007
Agent - Level 3

uhaligani is on a distinguished road

From Microsoft:

Windows Vista Home
1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
512 MB of system memory
20 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space
Support for DirectX 9 graphics and 32 MB of graphics memory
DVD-ROM drive
Audio Output
Internet access (fees may apply)