Go Back   Vista Help Forum » Windows Vista » Vista Hardware Forum

Old 06-24-2009
neophyte

web design uk is on a distinguished road
Default 8 gig ram installed, only 3.44 showing up on 64 bit system

ok heres one thats going to test everyones vista brains!

i have a AsRock 4core13333-FullHD motherboard (intel core2 quad Q6600) with 4 strips of 2 gig DDR2 - 800 Ballistix ram (from crucial.com)

Bios finds the ram fine and when i boot up my windows vista home premium 64 bit it says i have 8 gig) right click my computer properties section)

problem is if i bring up task manager it says i only have 3518 max physical memory and so does my sidebar widget.

System information also says i have 8 gig installed physical but only 3.44gig total physical memory!

see pic below

any ideas??

Old 06-25-2009
Agent - Level 3

luckypunq is on a distinguished road

reboot your system and boot into your BIOS setup. Under chipset settings there should be a "Remap memory " option. This is usually left off for 32 bit systems. Save your settings and exit. reboot, and hope Visat now sees all the memory. Also I would go to your motherboard manufacturers site and download the latest update for you BIOS. This is called flashing the board, and isn`t quite as scarey as it once was. I found I had to flash my top of the range Asus Maximus extreme, just to get memory and full 64bit working right !!.

AsRock support site

Last edited by luckypunq; 06-25-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-25-2009
neophyte

hi, thanks for the advice, ive found the bios updates for my board

http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.as...3-FullHD&s=775

a few questions though, do i need to download all the bios updates (well the ones relased after my current version) and do it in order etc or do i just need to download the latest one.

also can i use a memory stick instead of 3.5 floppy?

ive tried enabling memory mapping in the bios but when i reboot it just get a black screen and nothing loads

hopefully flashing the bios will fix this. (ive tried everything else lol!)
Old 06-25-2009
Agent - Level 3

The install directions are here I would follow them closely. I cannot advise as each manufacturer has thier own way of doing things, and I haven`t had an Asrock board for a while. It looks to me as if there is a utility that actually flashes under windows, also there is an option to do it in BIOS mode, just format your USB drive to Fat 32 and put the files on the drive. Then the BIOS util has a small file browser that you can use to point at the files.

The Windows mode

»BIOS Update Utility ASRuwin.exe, AFUWIN.BIN, UCODE.dat, UCORESYS.SYS, UCOREVXD and UCOREW64.SYS: These are the Flash Memory Writer utility that updates the BIOS to the programmable flash ROM chip on specific model. To determine the BIOS version of your motherboard, press <F2> to enter the BIOS setup utility during boot up, and check the BIOS version from the Main menu. Larger numbers represent a newer BIOS file. This utility works in Windows® XP, Windows® XP 64 bit, Windows® Vista™ And Windows® Vista™ 64 bit (Setting for Windows® Vista™ before BIOS update). And this utility is included in the BIOS package. (How do I check the BIOS version?) The Flash Memory Writer utility can not be suitable for all ASRock motherboards. Please use the Flash utility which is included in each BIOS file to update its BIOS. Also ASRock motherboard MUST use ASRock's Flash utility to update BIOS, those uncertified BIOS flashing tools will cause motherboard damage.
»Updating BIOS Procedures (Setting for Windows® Vista™ before BIOS update)
  1. Download the BIOS package (WinZip format with .zip file extension). And close all programs.
  2. Unzip and save all files to the same directory of any storage location accessible by the host system. And you should see ASRUWin.exe, AFUWIN.BIN, UCODE.dat, UCORESYS.SYS, UCOREVXD, UCOREW64.SYS, flash and BIOS file.
  3. Close other programs. Click ASRUwin.exe
  4. It shows a dialog icon to remind you to close other programs. Click "OK".
  5. After finishing upgrading the BIOS, it shows "Press Any key". Please press any key.
  6. Then it shows a dialog icon to remind you to restart the system. Click "Yes".
  7. After system restart, press <F2> to enter the BIOS setup utility during boot up. In Exit menu, please select "Load Default Settings" and press <Enter> to continue.
  8. Select "Exit Saving Changes" and press <Enter> to exit the BIOS setup utility.
  9. Now, system is booting up with new BIOS.

Last edited by luckypunq; 06-25-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-26-2009
neophyte

their is a PC god! his name is luckypunq!

She's alive...SHE's ALIVE!!!

[cough]

basically flashed and upgraded bios to 1.70 then restarted, still no luck, thus restarted pc went back into bios and enabled memory remapping, booted up and yes she lives! 8 glorious gigs of dual ram beauty.

Thanks for all your help guys.
Old 06-26-2009
Agent - Level 3

All tremble before the mighty Luckpunq ...lol

Thanks for the appreciation, glad I could help.

I had similar problems myself, which is why in this instance I was able to help. I think that this is a manufacturers issue that shouldn`t be happening, but I guess that with the CPU chips changing all the time, and the general chaos that generates is the reason why we have to go through such pain when assembling our own systems.